Group therapy is an opportunity for individuals who share common symptoms and difficulties to express themselves in a safe environment where they can receive support from others who are empathic and can relate. In this setting, group members will learn tools and skills that have worked for others, and even those that have not worked so well. It is an arena to verbalize thoughts, feelings and frustrations, in addition to one’s accomplishments and successes. The setting is non-judgemental and a wonderful opportunity for those that have felt isolated and alone in their symptoms to feel understood. This is a very empowering and motivating experience. So while we recognize that it can be difficult to express difficulties associated with symptoms of anxiety and similarly related issues, our group setting facilitates the validation that others can relate and connect with one another on a very special and unique level.
Some of the benefits of group therapy include:
- An opportunity to reflect ideas and hear those ideas of others.
- An opportunity to benefit both through active participation and through observation.
- An opportunity to give and receive immediate feedback about concerns, issues, and problems affecting one’s life.
- Members can benefit by working through personal issues in a supportive, confidential environment, and by helping others to work through theirs.
The Anxiety Treatment Center, Inc. offers the following groups:
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Group: This group is for individuals interested in learning and applying ERP techniques in a therapist led, peer supported environment. This empathic setting allows participants to receive feedback from others dealing with similar issues and learn effective strategies in the battle against OCD. Contact Dr. Robin Zasio, Psy.D. for further information.
- Social Anxiety Group: This group is for adults with anxiety, including but not limited to, public speaking, meeting new people, being in public places, and fear of being teased, criticized, or scrutinized. Additional topics involve assertiveness and relaxation training, exploring self-esteem issues, and developing inner-confidence. CBT and ERP principles will be taught and applied.
- Intensive Treatment Program Aftercare Group: This group is for individuals who have graduated from the Intensive Treatment Program who are ready to continue their therapy on an outpatient basis. This group is lead by Dr. Zasio. ERP principles will continue to be discussed and allow apple opportunity for participants to share their triumphs in their application of their newly learned principles as well as their struggles which will lend to give them support from other peers.
- “Your Greater Good: A New Perspective on Motivation in Therapy”: “Dr. Robin” and Jeff are now offering bi-weekly workshops for individuals interested in learning how to apply “Greater Good” principles to traditional Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Exposure and Ritual Prevention techniques in the treatment of OCD and other anxiety disorders. Consumers, mental health professionals, educators, and relatives and friends of anxiety sufferers are all encouraged to attend.
To inquire about group space, availability, and times, contact our office at 916.366.0647.